Website Tyler & Company
Tyler & Company has been retained for an exciting search for the Chair, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health at Howard University College of Medicine.
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Medicine, the Chair of the Department of Pediatrics and Child Health will be responsible for the attainment of all Departmental academic and operational goals; providing leadership essential to building programs and services; and is accountable for the overall clinical, research, administrative and educational direction of the Department and its Divisions. The Chair is accountable for positioning the Department for its future success and to oversee its efficient operation. Further, he/she will be committed to supporting the mission and vision of Howard University and organizational diversity initiatives. The Chair will collaborate effectively with the College of Medicine and the University.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate should be nationally recognized in areas which are consistent with Howard University College of Medicine’s mission by providing education, service and research for the under-served and underrepresented groups in medicine. The selected candidate must have extensive administrative experience as a Division Chief or Program Director of a Department of Pediatrics. The successful applicant will be expected to have the ability to build faculty to provide outpatient, inpatient and consultative clinical services. In addition, the candidate will have a strong commitment to the education and mentorship of students, residents and faculty and a distinguished research record.
The selected candidate will:
- Have an MD or MD/PhD degree from an accredited institution;
- Have or be able to obtain an unrestricted District of Columbia (DC) medical license;
- Must be certified in Pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics and have five (5) or more years of experience working in academic settings;
- Have a successful record of mentoring faculty, residents and students;
- Ideally have a track record of extramural grant funding and the ability to fully utilize the robust health services research environment of Howard University and the surrounding DC metro area;
- May be eligible for promotion to a faculty appointment in the Department at the rank of Full Professor or have already obtained the rank of Professor in a Department of Pediatrics;
- Meet criteria for tenure; and
- Participate in the Faculty Practice Plan.
Established in 1867, Howard University is a federally chartered, private, doctoral/research intensive university located in Washington, D.C., and is widely recognized as one of the world’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning. This renowned urban research university offers a world-class curriculum that includes professional certification in five fields. The only comprehensive American university with a predominantly African-American constituency, Howard University is committed to preparing its students to not only be respected leaders in the national and global communities but to also promote social justice and democracy the world over. Howard has historically educated more African American PhD’s than any other university. It has a track record, for more than a century, as the home to the single, largest concentration of Black scholars in the world.
Howard University is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information view the Position Specification.
If you know someone who may be interested, please contact:
Amy Rose, Tyler & Company
Tel Office: 610.558.6100 ext. 222
To apply for this job please visit www.tylerandco.com.