Dennis J. Kain, FACHE, is Senior Vice President of Tyler & Company and has been with the team since 2000. His career spans more than 40 years and includes extensive leadership experience in healthcare operations, hospital management and national consulting. His expertise working within provider settings, including serving as a hospital CEO, strengthens his understanding of the qualities, knowledge and vision necessary to create and lead a successful executive team. Dennis has conducted CEO, senior executive and physician executive searches for large health networks, academic medical centers, independent physician practices and community hospitals across the country.
Clients and candidates regularly commend Dennis on his knowledge of the field and his ability to successfully place C-suite leaders. He also assists his clients with succession planning services and onboarding/executive assessment solutions to ensure stability within the leadership ranks. Dennis resides in New Jersey, his home state.
Interview with Dennis:
Q: Throughout the last twenty years, how have you seen the healthcare search industry evolve?
A: “The goal has always been to help our clients fulfill their mission. My approach has been to develop long-term relationships and provide guidance and advice, whether to a client’s strategy or organizational structure or to candidates as they navigate their careers.”
Dennis states that the industry has not always been focused on providing the best service to candidates, but Tyler & Company has always been above the status quo.
“I’m pleased to see more of an emphasis by companies on improving candidate relationships. Treat people the way that you want to be treated.”
Q: How has your previous career in hospital management helped you be successful in the C-Suite Search industry?
A: “I’ve had the opportunity to watch leaders emerge in this industry; many members of the various management teams on which I have served have moved on to run hospitals and health systems.”
Dennis gives credit to the book, Top Grading, which he says has aided his efforts when recommending C-Suite candidates.
Q: What advice do you have for clients about choosing the best candidate?
A: “Our goal is to have a search process move promptly to having two great finalists.”
Dennis states that Tyler and Company presents detailed candidate information and references to the client, giving them independence and allowing the decision-making process to run smoothly. “We will back that decision with our guarantee.”
For searches with a Board search committee, “we ask that the committee partner with us in obtaining references and then we match notes.” This extra step provides thorough and accurate information about the candidate.
Q: What do you love about your job?
A: Dennis mentions several aspects of his career he enjoys most:
- “Partnering with the client to help them be successful.”
- “Watching successfully placed candidates perform well and get promoted.”
- “Watching the industry get closer to the holy grail.”
- “Providers working together — and sharing the revenue — to improve the health of the public.”
Q: What makes Tyler and company great (in comparison with competitors?)
A: “Larry Tyler established a culture focused on helping people; when it comes to giving back to the industry and helping others, Tyler & Company has been a leader for decades.”
In 2013, Tyler & Company joined Jackson Healthcare, the nation’s third largest healthcare staffing company, which serves 7.5 million patients in more than 1,400 healthcare facilities. Jackson has earned national media coverage for its innovative solutions to healthcare challenges as well as for notable national and international charitable work. As previously mentioned, Tyler & Company’s core values are rooted in helping people and putting others’ first, making the transition to the Jackson Healthcare family a perfect fit and mutual benefit for both organizations.
Dignity Health – CEO of California Hospital Medical Center
RWJ – Chief Human Resources Officer
FirstHealth of the Carolinas – Chief Executive Officer
Inspira Health – Chief Executive Officer
Ellis Medicine – CEO of Ellis Medical Group
Mary Washington Healthcare – Chief Executive Officer
Grand View Hospital – Chief Executive Officer
Chase Brexton – Chief Executive Officer
- Received 2014 ACHE's Exemplary Service Award
- Long-standing member and recertified Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE)
- Served as the ACHE Regent for Eastern Pennsylvania
- Initial recipient of ACHE Chapter’s Administrative Achievement Award – HLNDV
- Past chairman in the Health Services Management and Policy Alumni Association of The George Washington University
- Member, Association of Executive Search Consultants' (AESC) Council of the Americas
- Former member, Dean’s Development Council for the Jefferson School of Population Health of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia
- Former alternate to the Regional Policy Board, American Hospital Association
- Frequent speaker to a variety of ACHE chapters and health leadership forums, HFMA and the MGMA